Monday, September 1, 2008

Caterpillars

So my research has determined that monarch butterflies only spend about 2 weeks as caterpillars before they form chrysalises [which is a relief because I thought I might have stressed him out and caused him to enter hibernation early - which would lead to his demise when he hatched early and it was winter]. So it looks like Little was set to begin changing. And changed he has. According to resources, he will spend about 2 weeks in his cocoon, the cocoon will darken about 24 hours before he emerges. So now we wait. Hopefully in 2 weeks we'll have a butterfly to set free.

This whole thing makes me think of the book Hope for the Flowers. I even tried to name him "Stripe" but G wasn't having it. His caterpillar is LITTLE, no questions! But I don't think G is quite ready to hear that book. He would miss all the philosophy. Of course, he might enjoy it just as a good book. I think I'll read it again and see if it would make a good story or if it's too long.

No comments: