Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The weekend update

We had a good weekend.  Friday school was cancelled due to ill health among the students and staff [and was cancelled again on Monday] so I went to work at 5 AM so that I could be home by 2 PM and Dad could go to work at 2:15 PM.  That way Gman got to stay at home with Mom and Dad.  We did the same thing on Monday and each day Gman and Mom got to take a nap.  Nothing more cuddly than a boy all warm and sweet smelling waking up from a nap.  I got lots of snuggles and cuddles and some good couch snuggling time.  Saturday after swim lessons [Daddy stayed home and did laundry and cut the grass – what a wonderful man!] we met up with Uncle Ned and Cousin Lucy [who is only days older than Gman] at the local McDonalds.  Uncle Ned and mom got to sit and chat while Gman and Luce climbed and played on the indoor jungle gym thingy.  Tentative plans were made for going to the pumpkin patch next weekend.  And food was eaten by Gman.  He ate his nuggets with hardly any complaint and then drank almost all of his milk.  Friday night I “made” frozen cheese pizza for dinner and he ate 3 – count ‘em, 3, adult pieces of pizza for dinner [complaining afterward of a tummy ache, but some potty time, a little burping, and a hot bath and all was fine in the universe].  I think someone is going through a growth spurt.  It makes sense since his shirt sleeves, shirts might I add that I just bought in early August, are all getting too short.  After playing with Cousin Lucy we took a trip to the library.  Gman has his own library card, but we always use mine.  I had some books on hold so we picked those up.  And then we raided the kids section.   I think we must have gotten over 50 books.  I have a few that I love that I get for him, or ones that other parents have recommended that I think he’ll like, and then I let him pick a bunch for himself.  He loves that part as he feels like a very big kid picking out his own stories.  So between the 2 of us we managed to overfill 3 canvas bags – the kind the stores now sell for those who don’t want paper or plastic – and ended up ripping the handle off one, much to my embarrassment.  Several people offered to help me out to the car, but I was too self-conscious to take anyone up on it.  Instead I had Gman sit in the armchairs by the door with one of the bags [I was parked right across from the entrance] and took 2 bags out and then came back and got the broken handle bag and Gman.  By this time [after 2 PM] someone was pretty tired – that would be me, although I could tell Gman was losing energy quickly, so we came home and watched a DVD instead of taking a nap, Dick van Dyke in the classic Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, always a favorite – great sing along songs.  I tidied a bit, read an adult book a bit, and napped a bit – all while Gman sang along.  And then we crafted.  We took all of Gman’s papers and projects from preschool and punched holes in them [or glued them to a piece of construction paper where necessary and punched holes in that paper], made pages labeled A – E [that’s as far as he’s gotten in the alphabet] and put them all in a binder labeled Gman’s ABC book.  I think it’s cute, but already very full.  The rest of the night was spent eating dinner, taking a bath, saying prayers, and reading a book [I forget what but I think it was Stanley Mows the Lawn].

 

Sunday was more restful.  We got up for 8 AM Mass and afterward had doughnuts in the basement.  We met a nice family that has a teen-age son, Sean, who is autistic.  Sean and Gman ran and played for 45 minutes while we talked to Sean’s mom first and then when mom went off to collect for a Christmas present for our Pastor, we talked to Dad.  We also got to have a nice conversation with another family that we really like.  I want Gman to marry their youngest daughter who is only days older than him.  After that we went home and took a family nap.  I love snuggling up to my boys and settling down to sleep together.  I don’t know what it is about sleeping all together in our bed, but there’s something just so cozy about it.  Dad and I get under the covers and Gman sleeps on top between us [to keep him from falling out of bed].  This day I guess we were cold or something because we were crowding him [the boy who always drapes an arm or leg over both of us and sleeps sideways so that Dad and I each get 6 inches of the queen size bed while he hogs the center] and he flipped around so that his head was by the foot of the bed.  However we slept, Gman and I were out of it.  We slept 2 ½ hours!  Needless to say, it was a good thing that school got cancelled because he wasn’t going to go to sleep at bedtime.  After nap and some laundry, Dad went to work and Gman and I went to Grandma’s for dinner.  Gman ate his salad and pork chop, but not without a fight.  Only the threat of no Grandma cookies got him through.  My younger sister says watching the fight that takes place over meals between me and Gman is great birth control.  After dinner we went home and went through all of my clothes that have been squirreled away for years at the top of the closet [too high up for me to reach].  Gman put on my boots and thought he looked like a cowboy.  He also took all the give-aways off the hangers and made a nest in the hallway.  Once we were done with clothes we played baby and mama bird in the clothing nest.  Then we gathered it all up, brushed teeth, said prayers, and read a third Stanley book [we had read Stanley Goes Fishing for naptime and Stanley Goes for a Drive at bedtime – by the way, I don’t recommend the Stanley books.  I think they’re kind of weird.  We won’t be getting them again from the library and they are going back as soon as I can get my act together to make a return trip].

 

So now it’s Tuesday.  Monday was spent with Dad in the morning and Mom in the afternoon.  We napped [again] and then ate dinner and went grocery shopping.  Nothing much exciting.  Just want to keep tabs on what we do so that years from now I can look back and remember.

No comments: