Monday, October 26, 2009

Weekend update

Good weekend this weekend.  I was really irritable on Saturday for no apparent reason.  Okay, the reason was really petty and I feel bad about it.  I got woken up.  Yep, that’s it.  We didn’t get to bed until after midnight on Friday, which is not unusual.  But Saturday is my ONLY day to get any uninterrupted sleep if Gman doesn’t wake up early or come and get in bed with us in the middle of the night.  Neither of which he did Friday night.  Yay!!!!  BUT ……. [can you hear the ominous music?] …. Tom had to go to a funeral Saturday morning and one of his friends called at 7 AM to see if he needed a ride.  The funeral was for a young policeman killed in the line of duty and it was going to be very crowded so the friend called to see if Tom needed a ride.  Which he did not, but it was certainly nice of the friend to call.  HOWEVER ….. I was not happy to be woken up after less than 7 hours of sleep.  Most days I get 5 hours, 6 if I’m lucky or sleep through the alarm clock and don’t shower before work.  I was really hoping for a solid 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.  No dice.  Because once the phone rang I had to get up and go to the bathroom.  And then Gman woke up.  And then Dad had to get up and get ready while Gman talked his ear off.  And then I had to get up and distract Gman so that Dad could get ready.  All of which put me in a really irritable mood.  Which I then took out on my innocent son.  Nothing horrendous, just a general snippiness and lack of patience instead of good humor about little set backs.  It really upset Tom though.  Not that his friend called, but that I was SO, SO, SO out of patience.  I’m not usually like that.  I get irritable occasionally, but not for a whole day of foul moodiness.

 

But even though I was irritable we still managed to eat breakfast, get changed into swim clothes, I got a shower and we left for swim lessons.  WITHOUT UNDERWEAR.  That’s right.  My poor son wore his swim suit to swimming and I didn’t bring any underwear for him to wear once lessons were over.  Luckily for me, after a fruitless stop at Walgreens – they don’t carry children’s underwear for those who are interested – I remembered a TJ Maxx in the neighborhood.  So one 3-pack of 4T underwear later we went to my mom’s house and ate lunch.  After lunch we headed to the pumpkin patch – not the big fancy one that I initially intended, the little church run one right around the corner – and had a great time.  Gman got to jump on the “castle/rocket ship” enclosed trampoline thing with some big kids, we picked out 3 big pumpkins – one for Dad, one for Mom, and one for Gman and 3 baby gourds that looked like pumpkins and only cost $0.50 each.  Then Gman got to pull them to the car in a red wagon and got to be pulled back to the jumpy thing by me.  He loved it.  He also got to use the church bathroom, which he loved.  He loves going to different bathrooms, especially ones that have locking doors so that he can lock himself in.  It makes him feel very big.

 

After the pumpkin patch we headed home to Daddy who was back from the funeral.  While Dad worked on Gman’s play house, Gman and Mom took a nap.  It was necessary.  It doesn’t count toward uninterrupted sleep, but it did put me in a better mood.  Grandma was leaving Sunday for Nashville to take care of Uncle Bill while he recovers from surgery so we had her over to our house for salads [YUMMY!] and a quick good bye.  She left early the next morning and will be gone for quite some time.  Prayers for a speedy recovery for Uncle Bill and safe journey for Grandma.  Then bath for the boy and bed.

 

Sunday after Mass I tried to cut off my finger.  I was making an omelet and cutting up greasy bacon to put into it and the knife slipped or my finger slipped and I cut myself pretty badly.  Didn’t require stitches, but I did almost pass out.  Just got a little light-headed.  Dad had to get me a band-aid, finish the omelet [which turned out pretty good], and put up with my whining.  Gman was really sweet and worried.  He gave me his last Spiderman band-aid and kissed my finger to make it better.  After brunch Gman and I took another nap [less than 6 hours for me, but even more importantly, less than 9 hours for him and he’s still a growing boy] while Dad read the paper and watched football.  Gman got up and watched a bit of football after he woke up and then he and Dad worked on his playhouse until he grew bored with that and decided to use his little dull axe to strip the bark off a log.  That lasted until it was time to come in and get ready.  Dad and Mom went out to eat using a gift certificate Grandma gave them and even better, Gman got to go spend the evening with his sisters at his oldest sister’s apartment.  He had 2 sisters, 2 sister’s roommates, and one little dog to play with, movies to watch, and toys to show off.  He even got to eat a hot dog and M&M’s for dinner.  He was in heaven.  And then Mom and Dad came and got him and he got to go home and tell them all about his night and how much fun he had and what he did and then a nice hot bath, prayers, a book and bed.  We all had a good day and a nice weekend.

 

This week we have karate, music, swimming and taking care of Grandma’s house, Halloween, All Saints Day party at school, and a block party after trick or treating.  We’re also planning to start teaching Gman to say the Rosary.  We’re starting with a decade and moving up to the full Rosary by Christmas.  A full but wonderful week to which to look forward.  Hopefully I’ll stay in a better mood!

 

No comments: