Monday, December 20, 2010

funny little man

My little guy just makes me laugh.  

Friday night was “Bro and Sis” Night at our house.  N and Gman were working on building a castle out of a cardboard box on Wednesday but she had to leave before it was finished much to Gman’s disappointment.  As a palliative, she told him they’d have “Bro and Sis” night Friday night and work on the castle, he could take a bath in her tub [the only one in the house], and watch movies.  He was ecstatic.  I was a bit worried that she’d forget about it, but instead I did.  Hard to do because he kept bringing it up Thursday and Friday.  Friday when I picked him up we went to the vacuum repair shop to pick up the school vacuum that was being repaired but it wasn’t ready.  I called Gman’s grandma [Gma] and we were discussing coming over to her house for dinner when Gman perked up in the back seat and said, “But we can’t go to Gma’s house!  Tonight is Bro Night!!!!” [it quickly turned from “Bro and Sis Night” to “Bro” night – amazing how that works for 5 year olds].  So all plans were cancelled and we went home.  To the cuddly spot.  We turned on VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER [audio CD] and snuggled down with pillows and various blankeys under the blanket tent with the little light shining in the darkness.  Needless to say, I was out before the first track had completely played.  Gman was awake the whole time, listened and could tell me what was happening when I occasionally woke up and asked where we were in the story.  But then N got home and I was abandoned to sleep peacefully on the floor …. for about 5 minutes.  Every 5 seconds minutes he was upstairs telling me what they were doing and asking me to come and see.  It is with great shame that I admit that I told him to go away and let me rest.  But eventually I got up and made him dinner.  While I was “making dinner” – read heating up his hot dog – they were sword-fighting with kitchen utensils.  They had completed the castle by this time and Gman asked what they were going to do next.  N told him whatever he wanted and he turned to me to ask what they were allowed to do.  You should have seen his face light up when I told him they could do whatever they wanted … it was like I told him he’d won the lottery.  Needless to say, my little TV addict opted for a movie.  But he got N’s whole attention for the entire thing.  All weekend long he talked about how I said they could do anything they wanted.  It was magic to him.

Saturday was a wasted day.  Gman listened to almost the entirety of DAWN TREADER while Dad and I hung pictures [getting the house ready for Christmas].  He laid around in his underwear [until I made him put clothes on – I got cold looking at him], snuggling his blankey and sucking his finger.  In the afternoon we went to Target and bought N and J their birthday presents and a birthday ice cream cake for N.  Then we got Bernadette.  She’s the babysitter and he LOVES her.  We went out to dinner for N’s birthday [her choice – Mexican] while he played at home.  He hates having to behave in restaurants especially when they don’t serve hot dogs so he gets to stay home with Bernadette.  When we got home Bernadette stayed and we all had ice cream cake after singing and blowing out candles [with help from Gman].  Presents were opened and N got a HUGE, and I’m talking GINORMOUS purple ring – it went from hand knuckle to first finger knuckle, a tasteful purple pendant, and a multi-strand silver necklace with red and green jingle bells on it all from Gman.  Then J got dressed in her Christmas outfit – Santa turtleneck, Santa tights, bright green Santa vest, Christmas light necklace that actually blinked and could have the frequency of the blinking changed, and of course she borrowed Natalie’s new jingle bell necklace.  Gman thought she looked beooootiful.  J’s friends stopped by and were amazed at how big Gman is now.  Bernadette seemed to enjoy the company of the older girls and thanked Dad for letting her stay for cake, although, I think we enjoyed having her there more.

Sunday was the big day.  We went and saw Santa [and Mom finished the Christmas cards and got them mailed]!  Since Gman can’t read yet, Dad drew pictures of everything on his Christmas list for him.  He’s at a great age.  He still believes and was so relieved that he got to talk to “the man himself”.  He held his list [wouldn’t wander off with Dad like in years past because he was afraid he was going to miss his turn] in his little hand and couldn’t wait to get up there.  This year he trotted up there so excitedly, all on his own.  Didn’t need any encouragement to go sit on Santa’s lap from me, sob.  He smiled very nicely for his picture and got to tell Santa everything on his list [although Santa had to help him with Microscope].  He was beaming when he got done.  What a relief to tell Santa what he wanted.  We’d written a letter earlier in the season, but he just told Santa that he was being good and that he loved him.  He didn’t want to write out everything he wanted and so as the day started drawing closer he was worried that we wouldn’t make it to see Santa in time and then what would he get for Christmas?  Still, Santa plans to write him a letter and tell him that he needs to work on listening to mom a bit better but that all in all he’s been a very good boy this year.

So we had a good weekend.  The house is shaping up for the Christmas Eve party.  We’ve got the shopping list started and I’ll get to that tomorrow.  Christmas cards are finally out including a cute picture of Gman.  Presents are purchased and most have arrived via UPS or FedEx, although we are awaiting a few.  Some of the presents are even wrapped.  Not even close to being finished with that but I’ll work on that tonight.  Or tomorrow.  Okay, probably Thursday at midnight I’ll finally finish wrapping the girls presents because they open them Christmas Eve.  I won’t finish Gman’s until the last minute.  Do you let your kids open presents before or after Church?  I think we’re going with after Church and holding them hostage to good behavior.  Shouldn’t be a problem as we’re going to early Mass [8 A.M.] and he’s been really good in Church lately.  

No comments: