Friday, December 10, 2010

Trouble brewing

Gman is getting in trouble at school lately.  He can’t seem to keep his “super-esophageal ganglia” to himself in line, he coughs during prayers, story time, and nap/quiet time, and he was throwing toys at the ceiling at school.  The toy throwing is easily explained as it has been very cold out and the kids have had to stay inside.  No running or rough play and when you’re a young boy, that’s tantamount to physical torture.  I think that he should be fine today as we talked last night and he usually turns things around when he gets a note home.  How long it will last, well, I can’t say. 

The coughing thing is annoying but I don’t know if there is anything I can do about it.  Took him to the doctor who said his throat, lungs, and ears were fine.  Probably just a habit he developed.  So now we’re threatening him with medicine.  He is the pickiest eater every, hates all things medicinal or even sweet [Tylenol, etc].  So I bought some gummies for him that I am going to make him take every day.  He will hate it, but maybe then he’ll work on not coughing.  I don’t want to give him a complex, but I do want him to stop annoying people.  A lady in the library the other day asked me if he had asthma.  I said no and then she was really rude [okay, she did have some reason as he is terrible about covering his mouth when he coughs] and asked me to “make” him cover his mouth.  I wanted to be snarky once I thought about it and tell her that he had emphysema or something and see how she took it.  Instead I used it as a lesson and asked him, AGAIN, to cover his mouth.  I think seeing someone be rude about it [and I didn’t let him see that I thought she was rude] was useful.  He’s doing better covering his mouth.

I sent a note back to his teacher asking her to help with the “hands off” rule.  I gave her a note card with every school day left for the year.  Every day he can’t control his hands, she puts an “X” through that day.  I look at the card when he gets home and if there is no “X” he gets to watch a bit of TV after dinner, an “X”, no TV.  And in our house, let me tell you, that ranks right up there with the physical torture.

No comments: